For Westerners, grocery shopping in China can be a fun and distinctive experience, but it can also be difficult if you are unfamiliar with the language and culture.
It might be a lot simpler and more pleasurable to purchase if you are familiar with some basic Mandarin phrases for doing so. In this post, we share key Mandarin words for grocery shopping in China, as well as some practical sayings and pointers that will give you confidence as you traverse the markets and grocery stores.
Chinese expressions for grocery shopping
买菜 (mǎi cài) – to buy groceries
超市 (chāo shì) – supermarket
市场 (shì chǎng) – market
生鲜 (shēng xiān) – fresh produce
蔬菜 (shū cài) – vegetables
水果 (shuǐ guǒ) – fruits
肉类 (ròu lèi) – meat
海鲜 (hǎi xiān) – seafood
饮料 (yǐn liào) – beverages
面包 (miàn bāo) – bread
奶制品 (nǎi zhì pǐn) – dairy products
零食 (líng shí) – snacks
调料 (tiáo liào) – seasonings
袋子 (dài zi) – plastic bags
收银台 (shōu yín tái) – cash register
Useful phrases when shopping for groceries in China
- 这个重量是多少？(Zhègè zhòngliàng shì duōshǎo?) – What is the weight of this?
- 请给我两斤土豆 (Qǐng gěi wǒ liǎngjīn tǔdòu.)
- 你们这里可以退换货吗？(Nǐmen zhèlǐ kěyǐ tuìhuàn huò ma?) – Can I return or exchange items here?
- 你们有没有免费赠品？(Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu miǎnfèi zèngpǐn?) – Do you have any free gifts?
- 能不能送货上门？(Néng bùnéng sònghuò shàngmén?) – Can you deliver the goods to my home?
- 这个东西可以试用吗？(Zhègè dōngxī kěyǐ shìyòng ma?) – Can I try this out?
- 你们有没有更好的选择？(Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu gènghǎo de xuǎnzé?) – Do you have a better selection?
- 这个有没有添加剂？(Zhègè yǒu méiyǒu tiānjiā jì?) – Does this have any additives?
- 我要买有机食品 (Wǒ yào mǎi yǒujī shípǐn.) – I want to buy organic food.
- 这个是进口的吗？(Zhègè shì jìnkǒu de ma?) – Is this imported?
- 你们有没有更大一点的包装？(Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu gèngdà yìdiǎn de bāozhuāng?) – Do you have a bigger package?
- 这个需要冷藏吗？(Zhègè xūyào lěngcáng ma?) – Does this need to be refrigerated?
- 你们有没有新鲜的海鲜？(Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu xīnxiān de hǎixiān?) – Do you have fresh seafood?
Payment methods in China
Alipay (支付宝 zhī fù bǎo) – This well-known online wallet was created by Alibaba Group. Users can use Alipay to pay for goods and services both online and offline by linking their bank accounts or credit cards to their Alipay accounts. Peer-to-peer transactions, investment possibilities, and mobile top-ups are additional capabilities provided by Alipay.
WeChat Pay (微信支付 wēi xìn zhī fù) – Users can use WeChat Pay to send money to other WeChat users as well as pay for goods and services by linking their bank or credit card accounts to their account.
Cash (现金 xiàn jīn) – Cash is still commonly utilized in China despite the rise of digital payment options, especially for smaller purchases or in more rural locations.
Credit cards (信用卡 xìn yòng kǎ) – In China, credit cards are widely accepted, especially in the larger cities and popular tourist destinations. Both well-known foreign brands like Visa and Mastercard and well-known Chinese brands like UnionPay and JCB are accepted.
Chinese expressions for asking about discounts
Discounts are widespread in China and are available from a wide range of merchants, including supermarkets, department stores, and street vendors.
- 可以打折吗？(Kěyǐ dǎzhé ma?) – Can I get a discount?
- 你们有没有特价商品？(Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu tèjià shāngpǐn?) – Do you have any discounted items?
- 你们现在在打折吗？(Nǐmen xiànzài zài dǎzhé ma?) – Are you currently offering any discounts?
- 这个可以便宜一点吗？(Zhège kěyǐ piányí yìdiǎn ma?) – Can this be cheaper?
- 能不能给个优惠？(Néng bù néng gěi gè yōuhuì?) – Can you give a discount?
- 给我打个折吧。(Gěi wǒ dǎ gè zhé ba.) – Please give me a discount.
- 这个原价是多少？(Zhège yuánjià shì duōshǎo?) – What is the original price of this?
- 可以再便宜点吗？(Kěyǐ zài piányí diǎn ma?) – Can it be cheaper?
- 能给个折扣吗？(Néng gěi gè zhékòu ma?) – Can you give a discount?
- 我能不能用这张优惠券？(Wǒ néng bù néng yòng zhè zhāng yōuhuì quàn?) – Can I use this coupon?
Always remember to ask for a discount politely and respect the vendor’s decision if they are unable or unable to do so.
Learn more about our SUMMER CAMP!
Get to know holidays in China in 2023.
Get free Chinese learning resources.
Read about the Spring Festival Celebration on NRK’s website: https://www.nrk.no/norge/harens-ar-1.16270652#top.