Making hotel reservations is one of the most important things to do while traveling to China or any other Chinese-speaking location. Acquiring knowledge of appropriate language and cultural customs can facilitate this procedure. This article will walk you through the process and explain important Mandarin Chinese terms.
- 酒店 (jiǔ diàn) – Hotel
- 预订 (yù dìng) – Book/reserve
- 房间 (fáng jiān) – Room
- 单人房 (dān rén fáng) – Single room
- 双人房 (shuāng rén fáng) – Double room
- 套房 (tào fáng) – Suite
- 入住日期 (rù zhù rì qī) – Check-in date
- 退房日期 (tuì fáng rì qī) – Check-out date
- 价格 (jià gé) – Price
- 免费 (miǎn fèi) – Free
Making the Reservation
Whether you’re calling, visiting in person, or booking online, here are some useful phrases:
- 我想预订一个房间。 (Wǒ xiǎng yù dìng yī gè fáng jiān.) – I would like to book a room.
- 你们有空房间吗？ (Nǐmen yǒu kòng fáng jiān ma?) – Do you have any available rooms?
- 我要一个双人房。 (Wǒ yào yī gè shuāng rén fáng.) – I want a double room.
Asking About Amenities
- 房间有无线网络吗？ (Fáng jiān yǒu wú xiàn wǎng luò ma?) Does the room have WiFi?
- 早餐包括在价格里吗？ (Zǎo cān bāo kuò zài jià gé lǐ ma?) – Is breakfast included in the price?
Confirming the Reservation
- 请确认我的预订。 (Qǐng què rèn wǒ de yù dìng.) – Please confirm my reservation.
- 我的预订是从…到…。 (Wǒ de yù dìng shì cóng…dào…) – My reservation is from… to…
Checking In and Checking Out
- 我有一个预订，名字是…。 (Wǒ yǒu yī gè yù dìng, míng zì shì…) – I have a reservation under the name…
- 我想退房。 (Wǒ xiǎng tuì fáng.) – I would like to check out.
- Payment Methods: In China, electronic payment methods like Alipay (支付宝) and WeChat Pay (微信支付) are popular. Having these apps or inquiring beforehand is beneficial if the hotel accepts international credit cards.
- Tipping: Unlike many Western countries, tipping is uncommon in Chinese hotels. Offering a tip might even confuse some staff members.
In conclusion, while booking a hotel in China might seem daunting initially, with the correct vocabulary and cultural understanding, it becomes straightforward.
Contact our head teacher, Chen Huimin, at email@example.com if you want to learn Chinese or have additional questions about our Chinese programs.
Sign up for a free trial class here.
Learn about our Internship Program in China.
Learn about holidays in China in 2023.
Get free Chinese learning resources.