Discovering Chinese clothing terminology will improve your language skills by helping you explain styles, purchase more efficiently, and comprehend everyday discussions about clothes. Now, let’s explore the Chinese clothing vocabulary, with example sentences to help you understand how to use it.
- Chinese: T恤
- Pinyin: T xù
- Example: 他穿着一件红色的T恤。 (Tā chuānzhuó yī jiàn hóngsè de T xù.)
- Translation: He is wearing a red T-shirt.
2. Dress Shirt
- Chinese: 衬衫
- Pinyin: Chènshān
- Example: 他的衬衫很正式。 (Tā de chènshān hěn zhèngshì.)
- Translation: His dress shirt is very formal.
- Chinese: 西装
- Pinyin: Xīzhuāng
- Example: 他为婚礼买了一套新西装。 (Tā wèi hūnlǐ mǎi le yī tào xīn xīzhuāng.)
- Translation: He bought a new suit for the wedding.
- Chinese: 女式衬衫
- Pinyin: Nǚ shì chènshān
- Example: 她的女式衬衫是从那家店买的。 (Tā de nǚ shì chènshān shì cóng nà jiā diàn mǎi de.)
- Translation: She bought her blouse from that store.
- Chinese: 连衣裙
- Pinyin: Liányīqún
- Example: 她在晚会上穿了一件漂亮的连衣裙。 (Tā zài wǎnhuì shàng chuān le yī jiàn piàoliang de liányīqún.)
- Translation: She wore a beautiful dress to the party.
- Chinese: 夹克
- Pinyin: Jiákè
- Example: 外面很冷，别忘了穿夹克。 (Wàimiàn hěn lěng, bié wàng le chuān jiákè.)
- Translation: It’s cold outside, so don’t forget to wear your jacket.
- Chinese: 毛衣
- Pinyin: Máoyī
- Example: 这件毛衣让我感觉很温暖。 (Zhè jiàn máoyī ràng wǒ gǎnjué hěn wēnnuǎn.)
- Translation: This sweater makes me feel warm.
- Chinese: 鞋
- Pinyin: Xié
- Example: 我需要一双新鞋。 (Wǒ xūyào yī shuāng xīn xié.)
- Translation: I need a new pair of shoes.
- Chinese: 帽子
- Pinyin: Màozi
- Example: 夏天时，他总是戴着帽子。 (Xiàtiān shí, tā zǒng shì dàizhe màozi.)
- Translation: He always wears a hat in the summer.
- Chinese: 皮带
- Pinyin: Pídài
- Example: 他的皮带与他的鞋子相配。 (Tā de pídài yǔ tā de xiézi xiāngpèi.)
- Translation: His belt matches his shoes.
With these vocabulary terms and sample phrases, you’ll be more prepared to discuss clothes in various settings.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Are there traditional Chinese clothing terms I should know?
Answer: Absolutely. Some standard traditional Chinese clothing terms include:
- 旗袍 (Qípáo): A traditional Chinese dress that’s form-fitting, often worn by women on formal occasions.
- 汉服 (Hànfú): Refers to the traditional dress of the Han Chinese people.
Q2: How do I address different materials of clothes in Chinese?
Answer: Material often determines comfort and style. Some common materials include:
- 棉 (Mián): Cotton
- 羊毛 (Yángmáo): Wool
- 丝绸 (Sīchóu): Silk
- 聚酯 (Jùzhǐ): Polyester
Q3: How do I talk about sizes when shopping for clothes in China?
Answer: Sizes can be crucial when shopping. Common terms include:
- 小号 (Xiǎo hào): Small size
- 中号 (Zhōng hào): Medium size
- 大号 (Dà hào): Large size
- 特大号 (Tè dà hào): Extra large
Q4: Are there terms to describe fashion styles in Chinese?
Answer: Yes, fashion styles can be diverse. Some examples are:
- 休闲 (Xiūxián): Casual
- 正式 (Zhèngshì): Formal
- 复古 (Fùgǔ): Vintage or Retro
- 现代 (Xiàndài): Modern
Q5: How do I discuss clothing maintenance, like washing or drying?
Answer: Maintenance terms include:
- 洗 (Xǐ): Wash
- 干洗 (Gān xǐ): Dry clean
- 晾干 (Liàng gān): Air dry
For example, “这件衣服需要干洗” (Zhè jiàn yīfú xūyào gān xǐ) means “This piece of clothing needs dry cleaning.”
Contact our head teacher, Chen Huimin, at email@example.com if you want to learn Chinese or have additional questions about our Chinese programs.
Learn about our Internship Program in China.
Learn about holidays in China in 2023.
Get free Chinese learning resources.