Chinese is a challenging language to learn since it requires not just memorization of vocabulary but also comprehension of the nuances of grammar, such as how to use nouns with prepositions. Prepositions like “on,” “in,” and “at” are separate words in English, whereas Chinese frequently employs particles or coverbs to fulfill the same purposes. This article will examine often used nouns and their relationships to these components, with example sentences for context.
The Role of Coverbs in Chinese
Understanding the function of coverbs in Chinese is essential before proceeding with our list. In contrast to English’s solo prepositions, coverbs resemble verbs but can also be used as prepositions. A famous example is “给” (gěi), which can mean “to give” but also serves as a preposition similar to “to” or “for” in specific contexts.
Nouns and Their Prepositions: A Comprehensive List
书 (Shū) – Book
- 在 (zài) 书上 (On the book)
- Example: 我的笔在书上。(Wǒ de bǐ zài shū shàng.) – My pen is on the book.
- 读 (dú) 书 (Read a book)
- Example: 我在读书。(Wǒ zài dú shū.) – I am reading a book.
学校 (Xuéxiào) – School
- 在 (zài) 学校 (At school)
- Example: 我在学校学习。(Wǒ zài xuéxiào xuéxí.) – I study at school.
- 到 (dào) 学校 (To school)
- Example: 我要到学校去。(Wǒ yào dào xuéxiào qù.) – I am going to school.
朋友 (Péngyǒu) – Friend
- 和 (hé) 朋友 (With a friend)
- Example: 我和朋友去公园。(Wǒ hé péngyǒu qù gōngyuán.) – I am going to the park with a friend.
- 为了 (wèile) 朋友 (For the sake of a friend)
- Example: 我为了朋友会努力。(Wǒ wèile péngyǒu huì nǔlì.) – I will work hard for the sake of my friend.
家 (Jiā) – Home/Family
- 在 (zài) 家 (At home)
- Example: 我在家吃饭。(Wǒ zài jiā chīfàn.) – I am eating at home.
- 回 (huí) 家 (Return home)
- Example: 我五点回家。(Wǒ wǔ diǎn huí jiā.) – I return home at 5 o’clock.
工作 (Gōngzuò) – Work/Job
- 在 (zài) 工作 (At work)
- Example: 我在工作，不能接电话。(Wǒ zài gōngzuò, bùnéng jiē diànhuà.) – I am at work and can’t answer the phone.
- 做 (zuò) 工作 (Do work)
- Example: 我正在做工作。(Wǒ zhèngzài zuò gōngzuò.) – I am currently doing work.
钱 (Qián) – Money
- 有 (yǒu) 钱 (Have money)
- Example: 我有钱去旅行。(Wǒ yǒu qián qù lǚxíng.) – I have money to travel.
- 没有 (méiyǒu) 钱 (Without money)
- Example: 没有钱，我不能去。(Méiyǒu qián, wǒ bùnéng qù.) – Without money, I can’t go.
Create more grammatically correct sentences and sound more natural in conversation by understanding how these nouns interact with coverbs and particles. You’ll quickly realize you have mastered these Chinese language nuances if you continue practicing.
Contact our head teacher, Chen Huimin, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to learn Chinese or have additional questions about our Chinese programs.
Learn about our Internship Program in China.
Learn about holidays in China in 2023.
Get free Chinese learning resources.